Thursday, March 17, 2016

OBJECTION! Pajama pants and dirty drawers have got to go!

A few weeks ago, a female visitor to the courthouse wore pajamas when she attended a hearing for a relative in court. It was a onesy no less, and when I tweeted about the fashion faux pas it created quite a stir among Twitter followers.

Many wished I had snapped a photo, they were so astonished. Wished I had had my camera with me.

It wasn’t the first time someone showed up wearing pajama bottoms in county court and I’m sure it won’t be the last. 

Each time, I am flabbergasted that anyone would walk out of the house like that. As I’ve stated here before, decorum seems to have gone by the wayside, along with civility in society, even in a court of law, which should garner respect.

But I think a lower court judge in another county had a great idea.

The Associated Press reported last month that Magisterial District Judge Craig Long of Columbia County posted a sign in his Catawissa Township office that reads, “Pajamas are not appropriate attire for district court.” Long said there is a growing problem of people not dressing appropriately for court and that a code of conduct should be followed.

While Long conceded his reminder isn’t a rule that can be enforced, he hoped it would put thoughts of proper attire into people’s heads before they appear in court, according to the Associated Press story.

I’m left to wonder if any county judges would post such a sign outside their courtrooms and demand people dress appropriately. Time will tell if any local judges have the courage to make such a gutsy move.

But to the credit of some, I have seen a few judges remind witnesses or defendants to pull up their baggy pants, which are hanging below their waists, displaying underwear and even buttocks.

“Sir, please pull up your pants. No one needs to see that,” Judge Wendy Demchick-Alloy, rolling her eyes, told one witness who testified last week at the murder trial of Pottstown killer Richard Collins.
“I’m sorry, your honor,” the man said as he hoisted his pants up before taking his seat in the witness box after everyone caught a glimpse of his underwear.


Attention courthouse visitors, offenders, witnesses – I for one am tired of seeing your dirty drawers and your hind parts.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment